“Moving to the cloud” is the latest business trend, and this is not surprising considering the many benefits of doing so. There are various aspects of the business that can be moved, one of which is the applications you and your team use on a daily basis. Let’s explore what application hosting involves, and how your business can take full advantage of the benefits it offers.
What is Application Hosting?
Application Hosting refers to the ability of businesses to remotely access and use, off the shelf or tailored applications, hosted in a cloud infrastructure. Users can access that application through any device with an Internet connection. This service is also referred to as Software as a Service (SaaS).
How can my business benefit from it?
- Reduces complexity and costs through centralising applications in the cloud and automating the process of delivering or updating applications
- Test ideas more cost effectively and go to market faster
- Ensure seamless growth with an elastic cloud infrastructure
- Flexibility with enhanced security – Hosted Applications are securely accessible from a multitude of devices using encrypted gateways
- Familiar working environment – Hosted Applications look and function exactly like their on-premise counterparts
- Backup your data on the cloud with access of backups from anywhere at anytime
How can I implement it for my business?
There are many considerations and steps to take to ensure a successful and effective implementation of Application Hosting. Here is a handy checklist compiled by SmartCompany:
- Figure out what applications your business has in use
- Figure out which of them can be migrated or not
- Of those that can be migrated, which will we choose to move?
- Prepare a budget for each project
- Do a cost-benefit analysis
- Make a decision and commit funds to action
- Plan projects
- Take action
- Test all aspects in User Acceptance Testing (UAT) before deploying
- Deploy the change
- Train your team in how to use the tools even if they have not changed much
- Start again
One important thing to remember is that the main objective to move your business to the cloud is not to follow a trend, but to improve business processes, reduce costs, take advantage of the latest technologies and facilitate growth. It is a vital strategic move for your business and must therefore be carefully executed. With the help of a trusted cloud service provider, you will be guided along the way from planning to implementation to ongoing support, and be able to securely leverage the benefits that application hosting and other cloud services provide.